Granting Limited, Temporary Permissions with Share
Sharing a document with another user allows that user to view a document they would not typically have access to. Share can also give the recipient user permission to manipulate the document in ways (such as Edit or Sign) that they would not normally have for that document. Some things to be aware of:
- These permissions are limited to the document you share.
- You can also set a time limit on the permissions so the recipient user does not have access to the document beyond what is needed.
- You are able to expand permissions through the Share option, but you cannot restrict the permissions a user has over a form if their role permissions are greater than what you select in the Share rule.
- You are able to revoke a Share rule at any time.
Share a Document with Others
- Open the document you wish to share.
- Click Share.
- The Share button appears in the upper right corner of the form
- The Sharing window will open.
- Fill out the details of the sharing rule:
- user: Select the user you wish to share the document with from the drop-down.
- You can only choose one user per rule.
- View + Comment: Select the permission(s) you wish to grant to the share recipient.
- Defaults to View and comment, the most limited permission.
- The Custom option will provide you with a check list of individual permissions to select.
- from: Choose the start date for the share rule.
- Start date defaults to today's date.
- forever: Choose the end date for the share rule.
- Defaults to forever.
- The preset drop-down allows you to select standard time increments (week, month, etc)
- reason for sharing: Type the rationale for granting access or permissions for this document to the user you are sharing the form with.
- Click Share.
- The Sharing window will now display the Share with rule you have just created.
- A message will be sent to the selected user with a link to the document and a message notifying them of the Share permissions that they have been granted for that form.
- Click x to close the Sharing window.